MV Selandia Centenary

By Keith Henderson at June 05, 2012 07:52
Filed Under: General, Industry Events
One hundred years ago, MV Selandia displacing 7,000 t, entered service in 1912 and was the lead class of five ships with the other four sister ships built at various shipyards in Europe. They all had twin Burmeister & Wain four stroke crosshead engines type DM 8150-X giving a service speed of 11 kn. On the Selandia’s acceptance trials she reached a speed of 12.2 kn. The engine was an in-line eight cylinder with bore of 530 mm and stroke of 730 mm and the bmep of 6.4 bar produced 920 kW at 140 rpm. There were two 186 kW auxiliary diesel engines each with four cylinders. Each was driving a 220 V DC generator providing on board electrical power. Electric motors were used to start the main engines by turning the 6.5 ft (2 m) diameter flywheels. [More]

Tag cloud